- Brisbane Dance Centre has been the life work of Ms Barbara Eversen who upon completing her training and following her role as Principal Dancer in Ballet Theatre of Queensland established her own school – the Barbara Eversen School of Dancing, this later became known as the Northern Ballet Academy.
Barbara purchased the Brisbane Dance Centre (BDC) in 1991 with a view to providing dancers not only excellent dance training but a sound education as well. Her vision was realised in 1993 when BDC gained government accreditation for its full-time courses and she became the first private provider to offer vocational education and training in Brisbane. Such a concept at that time was innovative and dance training in Brisbane entered into a new phase as a result.
From 2002 Brisbane Dance Centre has focussed on the afternoon school training and the fulltime training was transferred to the Australian Dance Performance Institute P/L (ADPI). The studio was relocated to its current permanent home in Albion in 2003
- Catering to all levels from tiny tots to young adults
- A time and cost efficient program including RAD & Open Classical Ballet, Open & CSTD Contemporary, Glenwood Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Singing & Acting and Magical Movement classes.
- State of the art facilities providing amazing large studio spaces.
- Exceptional teaching faculty offering the best possible dance education today.
- Regular pianist accompaniment to foster musical development and appreciation.
- Opportunities to perform at a high level at premier Eisteddfods, Gala Performances and annual events.
- Opportunities to further the student’s dance careers through accredited Performing Arts Courses in Classical Ballet & Contemporary Dance and Musical Theatre & Commercial Dance.
- The Australian Dance Performance Institute(ADPI) offers several accredited courses - a Certificate III in Performing Arts; a Diploma of Art and an Advanced Diploma of Art. The Certificate III in Performing Arts is offered on a part time basis (one full day per week) and students can earn up to 8 credit points towards their Queensland Certificate of Education. The Diplomas are graded courses and upon successful completion you receive a ranking which can be converted by QTAC to an equivalent OP score (for an Advanced Diploma from an OP6 up to an OP2). Our exceptional teaching faculty includes: Barbara Eversen (Director), Bill Pengelly (Head of Classical & Contemporary), Wim Broeckx (former Artistic Director, Prix de Lausanne), Mark Pace & Michael Braun (Guest teachers), Michael Edge (Head of Jazz), Jacqui Devereux (Musical Theatre), Danica Beckett (Tap & Acrobatics), Gareth Harris (Acting), John Peek (Singing), Summer Nelson (Jazz & Tap), Vanessa Friscia (Hip Hop), Royce Simms (Health Science), Aileen Brockett (Music Appreciation), and Grace Willett (Classical & Contemporary, Coordinator - Certificate III in Performing Arts).
- Brisbane Ballet School (BBS) Excellence Programme Students can audition for this elite training programme which is aimed at aspiring ballet dancers from approximately 13 years of age. With their School’s permission, students attend one or two days per week to gain accelerated tuition in technique and performance.